Food & Wine
Chocolate is a girl’s best friend
Lots of research have been done on chocolate and found that chocolate contains plenty of health benefits, especially for women. Here are a few reasons why you should give in and enjoy the chocolatey nibble guilt-free the next time you have a craving. Just remember, as with any great power comes great responsibility; so have a chocolate, but not a box.
- It can reduce pain. A study done on rats found that while eating chocolate, they didn’t respond as quickly to pain.
- Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical that can reduce the risk of preeclampsia in pregnant women.
- Eating dark chocolate about five times per week in your third trimester can lower blood pressure and reduce your risk of preeclampsia by up to 69%.
- Chocolate is full of flavanols, so by eating it while pregnant, you can improve the growth of your baby and help the placenta work more efficiently.
- Studies have also found that children whose mothers ate chocolate while pregnant with them, cope better with stress, are friendlier and smile more.
- It reliefs PMS moods. Chocolate releases endorphins that reduce anxiety and helps you calm down.
- The magnesium found in chocolate can reduce water retention and lift your mood.
- Chocolate is rich in carbohydrates, which releases serotonin in your brain. This release activates a “feelgood” sensation.
- Chocolate can fight and reduce the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Chocolate contains a small amount of caffeine, which can help you curb your cravings.
- By eating chocolate a few times per week, you can actually lower your body mass index.
What are you waiting for? Embrace chocolate with as much love as it has for you, and sign up for a My Chocolate Box subscription. Not only will you have decadent chocolates delivered to your door every month, but you’ll also get a free My Personal Assistant subscription worth R199 per month. If you’d like more information, visit mychocolatebox.co.za
Get It Magazine Durban August 2018Into the Wild with Francoise Anthony