10 Ways to steal a heart without having to rob a bank this Valentine’s Day
“The good news is that there are so many great ways to celebrate that won’t break the bank,” says Susan Steward, Marketing Manager of Budget Insurance.
Budget Insurance recommends these practical tips for a fun, affordable Valentine’s Day:
- Romance starts at home – ditch the restaurant frenzy and opt instead for a meal at home. Dust off those candles, make your loved one’s favourite meal, switch on your favourite song and your night is set. You could enjoy a delicious three course meal at home for a third of the price of a restaurant and without the hassle of finding parking, dealing with frazzled waiters and putting up with overcrowded restaurants.
- Go out for dessert – just because you can’t go out for an expensive three or five course meal, doesn’t mean you can’t go out at all. Have a nice dinner at home and head out to your favourite coffee shop of café for a sweet end to your meal.
- Skip the knick knacks – what will your Valentine do with that oversized, overpriced teddy bear, mug or that giant red heart pillow? These things end up becoming unnecessary clutter anyway, so rather save that money for a good bottle of wine or delicious dessert for your stay-at-home dinner.
- Rent a cheesy movie and snuggle up – no dressing up, no paying for parking and no dealing with crowds. Put on the popcorn, get in your PJs and enjoy a romantic flick.
- Brekkie in bed – nothing beats this classic, cost-effective favourite. Add a few new twists like a jar filled with date night ideas for every month until next Valentine’s Day, or a photo album with your favourite moments from the last year –and don’t forget to take a snap of your delicious creation to add to your album.
- Get creative with DIY coupons – create your own coupons for back massages or foot rubs, redeemable at any time, or for a night off. There are plenty practical things that will help make your partner’s life easier like washing dishes for a week or doing the grocery shopping for a month – the gift of time is invaluable.
- Repeat your first date – this is really fun, especially if you have been with your partner for a long time. If you can’t relive it exactly, find a close alternative and revive those butterflies.
- Avoid the floral fancy – a dozen red roses will set you back about R400 while you can get a bouquet of sunflowers for about half that, so avoid the rose cliché and explore the many other floral options on offer.
- Give the gift of undivided attention – this one is absolutely free! Did you know that, according to a study conducted by British psychologists, the average young adult spends up to a third of their waking hours on their phones – so by simply putting your smartphone down for a few hours, you’re showing your partner just how much you love them!
- Create a card – Valentine’s cards can be expensive. Using relatively inexpensive materials from a craft shop, you can easily create a personalised card that will no doubt mean a lot more. Click here for a little inspiration.
Get It Magazine Durban January 2018Trends for the fashionista in you
Renowned for their mouth-watering, decadent and convenient desserts, Chateau Gateaux has become Durban’s most-loved Patisserie – an obsession to say the least.
As good as eating out
Let’s face it. Budgets are tight. And eating out has become somewhat of a treat. But we’ve found the perfect solution … restaurant food at home.
Bespoke baby gear, designed with the supermom in mind!
When it comes to baby brands, there are so many great companies out there producing some incredible stuff. On an international level, we are of course envious of some of the adventurous, fun and fabulous products on the market (not all of which we can always get our hands on), so we simply cannot contain ourselves when every now and again we stumble across some equally great brands produced on our very own doorstep…
A Crazi kind of giveaway
There are only a few weeks left of the Crazi Erazi phenomenon that has swept the country since December, and this is your chance to win one of five complete sets of Crazi Erazi erasers that we are giving away.
STRETTON’S & Barker & Quin collaborate to reinvent G&T
Stretton’s Gin have come to the rescue of all gin-lovers with a collaboration that’s bound to be the talk of the town. The award-winning Gin brand partnered with tonic experts Barker and Quin to perfect a timeless classic – Gin and Tonic.
50 Shades of Pink
When it comes to wine, especially rosé, there are loads of guys who won’t touch it. Maybe it’s because they prefer a beer or a more refined spirit; maybe it’s because it comes in a stemmed glass, who knows?. What we can say though, based on the confessions of our local wine fundi, Jan-Nico Coetzee, is that even the tough guys have a palate for rose, and thanks to the bottled beauties listed below, we now know just why.
Let your presence linger…