10 Ways to steal a heart without having to rob a bank this Valentine’s Day
“The good news is that there are so many great ways to celebrate that won’t break the bank,” says Susan Steward, Marketing Manager of Budget Insurance.
Budget Insurance recommends these practical tips for a fun, affordable Valentine’s Day:
- Romance starts at home – ditch the restaurant frenzy and opt instead for a meal at home. Dust off those candles, make your loved one’s favourite meal, switch on your favourite song and your night is set. You could enjoy a delicious three course meal at home for a third of the price of a restaurant and without the hassle of finding parking, dealing with frazzled waiters and putting up with overcrowded restaurants.
- Go out for dessert – just because you can’t go out for an expensive three or five course meal, doesn’t mean you can’t go out at all. Have a nice dinner at home and head out to your favourite coffee shop of café for a sweet end to your meal.
- Skip the knick knacks – what will your Valentine do with that oversized, overpriced teddy bear, mug or that giant red heart pillow? These things end up becoming unnecessary clutter anyway, so rather save that money for a good bottle of wine or delicious dessert for your stay-at-home dinner.
- Rent a cheesy movie and snuggle up – no dressing up, no paying for parking and no dealing with crowds. Put on the popcorn, get in your PJs and enjoy a romantic flick.
- Brekkie in bed – nothing beats this classic, cost-effective favourite. Add a few new twists like a jar filled with date night ideas for every month until next Valentine’s Day, or a photo album with your favourite moments from the last year –and don’t forget to take a snap of your delicious creation to add to your album.
- Get creative with DIY coupons – create your own coupons for back massages or foot rubs, redeemable at any time, or for a night off. There are plenty practical things that will help make your partner’s life easier like washing dishes for a week or doing the grocery shopping for a month – the gift of time is invaluable.
- Repeat your first date – this is really fun, especially if you have been with your partner for a long time. If you can’t relive it exactly, find a close alternative and revive those butterflies.
- Avoid the floral fancy – a dozen red roses will set you back about R400 while you can get a bouquet of sunflowers for about half that, so avoid the rose cliché and explore the many other floral options on offer.
- Give the gift of undivided attention – this one is absolutely free! Did you know that, according to a study conducted by British psychologists, the average young adult spends up to a third of their waking hours on their phones – so by simply putting your smartphone down for a few hours, you’re showing your partner just how much you love them!
- Create a card – Valentine’s cards can be expensive. Using relatively inexpensive materials from a craft shop, you can easily create a personalised card that will no doubt mean a lot more. Click here for a little inspiration.
Get It Magazine Durban September 2018Meet Durban’s new faces of fashion
An afternoon of decadence.
21 reasons to open a bottle of FAT Bastard
Life, like FAT bastard, should be filled to the brim and enjoyed in large, delicious gulps. And this year, this well-loved, delicious, full-bodied range of wines, is celebrating 21 years of living large. So named because when first created by
Pinkies up, it’s time for tea!
There’s nothing quite like tantalising your taste buds in spring with a tall glass of iced tea, which is why we are over the moon that one of our favourite fruit juice brands, Sir Fruit, has introduced a bold, low sugar Ice Tea to its range.
It’s fun, there is food, it’s the Bierfest at Suncoast
Bierfest is back at Durban premier entertainment destination, SUNCOAST, with an offering of good food, music and beer at this year’s TOPS at SPAR Bierfest!
Win a weekend at Thula Thula
Courtesy of Thula Thula, we are giving one of our lucky readers a chance to win a 2 night stay at Thula Thula Game reserve.
Chocolate biscuits …and a luxury breakaway!
Win a Keeping up with the Kandasamys DVD
We were thrilled to hear that the sequel to the highly successful Keeping up with the Kandasamys is on the cards and will be released in 2019.
Its time to READ competition
A wise man once quipped: Creativity is contagious. Pass it on. Albert Einstein certainly knew what he was speaking about, and when it comes to encouraging creativity and imagination in our youth, just think of the untold treasure, waiting to be discovered!
Glad to go camping
The kids are on their mid-year hols and a camping weekend’s on the cards. Woo hoo.
How are you enjoying your Cadbury Breakaway?
Chocolate wrapped and filled wafer. On a chilly winter night, there’s really not much more we want than this, a mug of coffee and a good book.