Paws on the Promenade
Date: Sunday, 1 October 2017
Venue: uMhlanga Promenade, The Pearls Pier
Distance: 2.5km loop (north to the end of the promenade and back to the pier) Time: 08h00- 12h00 (First walk at 08h30 I Second walk at 09h00)
While entry is free, Paws on the Promenade encourages the community to support ‘Feeding the
Furballs’, an organisation dedicated to providing food and supplies to rescue animals and organisations; and so entrants are invited to make a voluntary donation to the Furballs team on the day of the event. “We are passionate about ALL pets being able to live a happy and healthy life. And so with this event we saw an opportunity to team up with the community and support a cause that looks after pets who don’t have a forever home; and need our help. We are also looking forward to just having some fun and hanging out with all types of breeds and sizes” says Zane Donaldson of Absolute Pets.
Champion Petfoods South Africa, with their award-winning pet food brands ORIJEN and ACANA, have also come on board to help make this event possible for the dogs and dog owners of the Umhlanga community.
We can all appreciate that the Umhlanga promenade provides a beautiful space along the coastline for dogs and their owners to enjoy together, which is something the uMhlanga UIP is very passionate about. With full-time cleaning and the installation of fully stocked dog-poop bag dispensers placed all along the promenade, they have made every effort to maximise and maintain this space so its residents can benefit from this much-loved lifestyle. This has however, come under threat by a lack of consideration and respect for the area, as dog-poop bags are not always used, making it unpleasant for others.
The Absolute Pets Paws on the Promenade dog walk is a platform for the community to get together with their beloved pets, have some fun and reflect on the etiquette required to maintain this space and continue having access to such a prime dog-walking spot.
“When Absolute Pets moved into the Pearls Mall and spoke to the UIP about getting involved in the community, we saw it as a way to reach out to dog owners and highlight the need for them to pick up after their pets so that we can all continue to enjoy the promenade” said Cara Reilly of uMhlanga Rocks Place-Making Committee.
TO ENTER you and your dog:
- Download the entry form: [http://bit.ly/2eURkZUJ and a) email it to email@example.com OR b) hand it in at any Absolute Pets store OR
- Ask for an entry form at Absolute Pets, The Pearls Mall.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON THE DAY:
In addition to a fun walk and soaking up the sun and sea air with your best friend, we have a few prizes to give away, a gift bag for every entrant and the following exhibitors:
- Absolute Pets- leaders in pet care offering expert advice and the latest products to help you provide the best for your pet.
- Champion Petfoods South Africa_- ORIJEN and ACANA are award-winning, biologically-appropriate dog and cat foods. Trusted by pet lovers everywhere.
- Feeding the Furballs- will tell you all you need to know about adopting a pet and I or what help they need to support their furballs.
- uMmhlanga Dog & Cat Grooming Parlour will have an array of grooming products available to look at or purchase and you can also book an appointment to ensure your dog is looking good for summer.
- Doggy Minds- dog trainer and behaviourist Pam, will answer any questions you have about your dog’s behaviour or you can find out more about her successful dog training school.
- Creature Care- will be microchipping pets for R150. A percentage of this fee will be donated to Feeding the Furballs.
- The uMhlanga UIP will be on site with their golf cart and operational staff and will also be available to help you download the FREE uMhlanga Rocks area APP. The UIP looks after the community’s needs improving the safety, general environment and quality of public space life for the benefit of all uMhlanga residents, businesses, locals and tourists.
We advise you to bring cash and card as some vendors will only be accepting cash on the day.
Entrants are welcome to pa rk in The Pearls Mall parking lot for free for the day. Each entrant will receive a validated parking ticket in their gift bag, thanks to The Pearls Mall centre management.
- Please make sure ALL DOGS are on a leash.
- Please pick up after your dog making use of the UIP poop bag dispensers along the route.
- While all dogs are welcome, please bear in mind that your dog will be around many other dogs so consider whether they are socialised enough, or comfortable enough being around other dogs.
Get It Magazine Durban December 2017Make it a festive summer