Décor & Gardening
Tips for setting a colourful Spring table
- No matter what your colour scheme or theme, utensil placement is universal. Forks go on the left of the dinner plate, and knives and spoons go on the right. If you are serving several courses, the general rule is that the cutlery for the main course is placed closest to the dinner plate, with additional cutlery placed on either side of it.
- White dinnerware looks crisp and fresh on colourful table mats and table cloths and is recommended for dinner parties as it shows the colour of the food up beautifully. If you happen to have dinnerware to match your colourful setting, don’t be afraid to go all out with colour, but introduce neutral elements such as white napkins, to diffuse the colour.
- Bread plates go to the top left of the dinner plate, above the fork(s), and drinks go to the right of the dinner plate, above the knives.
- Invest in matching wine glasses, as a variety of differently shaped glasses can make even the most sophisticated table setting look shabby.
- A small centrepiece such as flowers or candles completes your dinner table. Keep these in the centre of the table where they won’t encroach on guests’ space. Alternatively, use this space for a snack platter filled with cheese, nuts and other delectable hors d’oeuvres. If you are using plain colours, get creative with a colourful centrepiece. However, if your setting is bright, patterned or multi-coloured, it’s best to stick to a neutral centrepiece.
- The point of adding colour to your dinner table is to have fun, so if you feel like ‘breaking the rules,’ go for it!
For a colourful and stylish dinner table, look no further than these items from the Linen Drawer Bayede! collection:
Serviette 50x50xm: R68.00 ǀ Table Mat 45x35cm: R115.00 ǀ Table Runner 170x45cm: R165.00
|Fields of Blue
Serviette 45x45xm: R55.00 ǀ Table Mat 35x45cm: R140.00
Serviette round 30cm in diameter: R55.00 ǀ Table Mat round 40cm in diameter: R167.00
These and many more tableware designs are available on www.linendrawer.co.za. Free delivery throughout South Africa.
Durban Get It Magazine – August 2017Women of substance