Food & Wine
LANCEWOOD®’s Emoji Meals: A piece of Cake for foodie celebs
The challenge was set by LANCEWOOD®, the number one cream cheese brand in SA*, in celebration of their season-long support of the Ultimate Braai Master. Vying for the title of Challenge champion were famous foodies Lorna Maseko (Top Billing and The Hostess presenter), Sam Linsell (food stylist, photographer and owner of the Drizzle and Dip blog), Kamini Pather (Master Chef SA winner 2013 and host of Girl Eats World) and Lucia Mthiyane (food expert and chef). Their task was to create swoon-worthy recipes inspired by, and most closely resembling either the burger , cake , doughnut , pizza or spaghetti food Emoji, featuring a LANCEWOOD® product.
Lucia Mthiyane was crowned the winner by judge, Zola Nene, the famous food goddess from Expresso Show, who put her stamp of approval on Lucia’s lip-smacking cheesecake – the perfect post braai delight.
- 10 biscuits of your choice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tubs of LANCEWOOD® Medium Fat Plan Cream Cheese
- 2 eggs
- 250ml condensed milk
- 500g white fondant
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- 250g castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
2. Combine biscuit crumbs, sugar and butter; press firmly on bottom of 9-inch springform pan.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs, castor sugar, lemon juice and cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in condensed milk until smooth.
4. Pour the mixture into the springform pan over the biscuit mixture.
5. Bake at 160˚C for 50 to 55 minutes or until the centre is set.
6. Set aside to cool.
7. Roll out the fondant and cover the cake.
8. Use white and yellow fondant to make three candles with flames.
9. Finish by placing fresh strawberries on top.
The Challenge was inspired by the Emoji Meals offering on LANCEWOOD®’s Facebook page, which involved an interactive Bot enhancing viewers’ Ultimate Braai Master experience. By sending a food Emoji to LANCEWOOD®’s Facebook page via private message, the Bot instantly responds with a recipe or tip related to it. For example, sending a potato emoji would get you a recipe for LANCEWOOD’ Sour Cream baked potatoes – hot out of the oven or fresh off the coals – with LANCEWOOD® Jalapeño Chutney Dip & Top for added flavour.
“We wanted to take our Emoji Meals offering to another level and hand-picked our favourite foodie influencers to cook up a storm. Ultimately, Lucia came out tops by whipping up a mouth-watering cheesecake that ticked all the boxes of a LANCEWOOD® culinary creation,” says Shereen Anderhold, Marketing Manager at LANCEWOOD®.
Other not-to be missed delights included:
Kamini’s Beat and Bake Cake
- 170g of margarine
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 ¼ cups of flour
- 3 heaped teaspoons of baking powder
- ¾ cup of milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons of margarine
- 500g of icing sugar
- 1 tub of LANCEWOOD® Medium Fat Plain Cream Cheese
- Cream the margarine and sugar.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Add the milk.
- Grease a cake tin and pour in the mixture.
- Bake at 180˚C for 30 to 40 minutes.
- One hamburger patty.
- One hamburger bun (sesame seed or plain, depending on your preference)
- A slice of LANCEWOOD® Sweetmilk Cheese
- Cook the patty until medium to well-done.
- Slice the bun open, trim the edges with a scissor to get the perfect round shape and place the patty on the bun.
- Quickly dip the slice of LANCEWOOD® cheese into a bowl of boiling water, before laying it on top of the burger patty.
- Close the bun to complete the burger.
- 750 g lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 15 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 50 g tomato paste
- Smoked chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Tagliatelle pasta
- Lancewood cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)
- Heat oil in a pan and fry onions and garlic until they are soft.
- Add mince and brown well.
- Add in your smoked chilli flakes and chutney.
- Add chopped tomatoes and the tomato paste to your mince.
- Add in your salt and pepper.
- Allow to gently cook for 20 minutes.
- Boil your pasta for 8-12 minutes
- Once you have drained your pasta, place it in a dish of your choice and serve with bolognaise sauce.
- Grate cheese, and garnish accordingly.
For more information, visit the Lancewood Cheese Facebook page.
Get It Durban October 2017Michelle Markham, Goddess of waste